• Previous Posts
  • Archives
  • Main
  • Subject to Change
  • Sunday, February 19, 2006

    All Work and No Play

    I spent one summer working at a power plant in Marquette, MI. The job left me with plenty of time to enjoy the scenery, because I was working contractor's hours (6:30-2-30).

    This is the Dead River, as seen from the top of the power plant. I hate heights, but the view was so worth it! And to think, the people who work at the plant get to see this out their window every day!


    Overlooking the city, you can see Sugarloaf Mountain. It's a short hike to the top, and you can see for miles.


    View of the power plant from Sugarloaf Mountain.


    Lake Superior is extremely clear here. Well, it was, until the dam broke a year later.

    2 Comments:

    At 9:56 PM, Blogger gbradley said...

    I didn't see these photos before.
    What Do you mean the dam broke?

     
    At 10:08 PM, Blogger Aaron said...

    The dam was a small hydro plant, coincidentally rebuilt by the company I worked for many moons ago.

    The way I understand it, the dam was reconstructed at one point to fail per revised government regulations. When a period of heavy rain caused the lake to spill over the top, it was able to wash the dam away. Loosely, that's the story I remember. I'll have to see if I can find a link.

    A contractor that I knew at the power plant told me some pretty funny things about that day because the dam break flooded the basement of the plant (where all the MCCs are). Apparently there was a guy out in the switchyard who called him on the radio and said "I think I'm coming back in, because I'm standing in a foot of water.

    I was back up in Marquette that winter on vacation and I went to go see the lake at the tourist park, not realizing that it was the one that got emptied. I kept driving around saying "where's the lake?"

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home