• Previous Posts
  • Archives
  • Main
  • Subject to Change
  • Monday, March 13, 2006

    High Speed Tourism

    Taking advantage of a short-term layoff in September '03, I decided to take a trip out to Crater Lake, Oregon. I decided to venture up and down the Pacific coast, from Seattle, WA to Cresent City, CA. This is great country, full of parks and forests. And, the smell of smoked salmon everywhere...

    Mt. Rainier, WA
    The photos are a bit hazy, from recent forest fires.

    Mt. Saint Helens, WA
    Mandatory Detour.

    Mount Hood, OR
    As seen in The Shining. Mount Hood is impressive and fun to look at as you drive toward Portland from the west.

    Mount Thielsen, OR
    Reminds me of the Murderhorn on The Simpsons.

    Vidae Falls (Crater Lake NP, OR)
    The falls are much more active in the spring. I have photos of that, too.

    Phantom Ship (Crater Lake NP, OR)
    The clouds in this photo were blowing past, over the rim of the crater. As you can see, the bowl was still in clear view. This was an extremely erie moment, to have ice crystals blowing in my face, standing in a cloud, looking down on a clear blue lake. Van Halen was on the radio.

    Wizard Island (Crater Lake NP, OR)
    I've wanted to see Crater Lake since I saw a winter photo of it in a National Geographic book. The idea of a volcano inside a volcano seemed so cool to me at the time.

    Crater Lake (Crater Lake NP, OR)
    You have to see this in person to appreciate the scale. The lake is five miles across. And, yes, you can get down to it, even canoe to the island and climb it. On my second trip (in July '04) I hiked down to the lake, but the boats weren't operating. That's just an excuse to go again!

    California Redwoods
    I stayed in a hotel near the ocean in Cresent City, and woke to the sound of a fog horn an seals. Then, I drove through the redwood forest to find a short hike or two. You just can't photograph these trees. It's hard to make them look big enough!

    3 Comments:

    At 1:42 PM, Blogger gbradley said...

    Those volcano mountains are cool: Ranier, Hood, Shasta. I haven't been to Crater lake since I was a kid.
    I've gotta make plans to go there.
    Maybe next year.
    xoyre

     
    At 3:44 PM, Blogger Phelony Jones said...

    I saved the crater photo for my desktop if you don't mind. I love the pacific northwest, it's gorgeous

     
    At 6:29 PM, Blogger Aaron said...

    I saved the crater photo for my desktop if you don't mind.

    As if I could stop you. I'm happy that you like it.

    There are more to follow, from the second trip. And, I've got photos from other places.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home